This gluten free recipe is super quick, healthy and great to have on a hot summer’s night when you want something cool and refreshing to eat. The quantities in this recipe make one serving, however feel free to multiply these as this is a great meal to make for a group of friends to share – just put all the ingredients on a big platter and watch everyone devour them! As for the lettuce shell, we recommend the butter crunch lettuce as this gives the closest ‘crunch’ to what you will get from a regular taco shell. Enjoy these while they last and remember to share!
2 flathead fillets (this amount will depend on the size of the fillets) – pin boned
1 egg, whisked
2 tablespoons arrowroot (Tapioca flour)
½ cup almond meal
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 butter crunch lettuce – leaves pulled off, trimmed and placed into cold, icy water to make it nice and crunchy!
1 tomato (diced into small pieces)
½ Lebanese cucumber (diced into small pieces)
Large handful coriander leaves (chopped finely)
Small handful mint leaves (chopped finely)
½ lime, juiced
Sea salt and cracked pepper
To serve: Extra lime wedges, sweet chili sauce and/or Sambal Oeleck
- Place avocado, tomato, cucumber, coriander leaves, mint leaves, lime juice and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Mix until all ingredients are well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Drain lettuce leaves.
- Cut flathead fillets into small strips.
- Place arrowroot on one plate, whisked egg in a bowl and almond meal on another plate.
- Dust the flathead strips in arrowroot to coat.
- Place the flathead strips into the whisked egg and coat
- Roll the flathead fillets in the almond meal to cover completely.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large frypan over medium – high heat.
- Cook the flathead filets until golden and crispy on all sides. Be very gentle when turning as flathead is a very delicate fish and they can easily break.
- To serve, place the lettuce leaves on a plate, scoop a spoon of the avocado and vegetable mixture onto the lettuce, top with a few pieces of flathead.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice over the flathead and then top with sweet chili sauce or Sambal Oeleck.