Makes four servings:
1 tablespoon macadamia oil
500g Free Range, organic chicken mince
1 long red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
2 centimetre piece of ginger, finely chopped
¼ cup Tamari soy sauce
3 tablespoons maple syrup
227g canned water chestnuts, drained, rinsed and roughly chopped.
½ tablespoon cornflour (dissolved in 2 tablespoons water)
3 Kaffir lime leaves, cut out centre vein, roll into a cigar shape, and then slice very finely
1 iceberg lettuce, trimmed into cups
Carrot, capsicum and spring onion, sliced finely, to garnish
Sweet chilli sauce and lime to serve
- Heat the oil in a wok or frypan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken mince, chilli and ginger and cook, stirring constantly for 2 -3 minutes to break up any lumps.
- Add the Tamari and maple syrup and cook for a further 1 -2 minutes until combined.
- Add the water chestnuts, stirring to combine. Check your seasoning at this point – add more Tamari or maple syrup to balance the flavours of sweet and salty.
- Add the cornflour mixture into the chicken mixture and stir well until slightly thickened and glossy.
- Stir through the kaffir lime leaves. Take off the heat.
- Fill the lettuce cups with the chicken mixture, then garnish with the carrot, capsicum and spring onion.
- Serve with sweet chilli sauce and lime wedges.
Note: If you plan on taking this dish to lunch simply shred the lettuce and make a salad with the carrot, capsicum and spring onion. Heat the chicken mixture soon after and then tip this over the top of the salad. Finish with a spoon of sweet chilli sauce and a big squeeze of lime juice to make this recipe really come to life.